Thursday, May 13, 2010

Stay at Home Moms are worth $117K a year!

Well, hell yeah! I have been saying it for years. Moms at home add so much value, what between vacuuming, cooking, swifering, diapering, pureeing, dicing, scrubbing, laundering, running after, pushing strollers, trying not to have a nervous breakdown and even staring like deer in headlights once kiddos are down for a nap, not being able to decide which chore comes next.
So, Salary.com has apprently worked out some elaborate calculation by studying pay levels for 10 job titles with duties that a typical mom performs, ranging from housekeeper and day care center teacher to van driver, psychologist and chief executive officer. I LOVE the last one! Although I always said to my husband that while he might be the CEO of the family LLC, I certainly am the CFO of it! HA!

Here is more
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354638,00.html

But I am just saying that a lot that goes on during the day in the house remains mostly unappreciated by them menfolk coming back from work. I;d like to declare one day "be me" day and have my husband be me. Get up, prep food and feed the Son, but like I do, not like he does it. Because he does prep oatmeal for him and does feed him occasionally while I snag a further 30 mins of sleep. However, once they are done, I get to clean up the mess after them. So, being "me" means do all that AND clean up and polish the counters afterwards, while waiting for Son to go potty, change him into clothes and give him his after breakfast milk, then feed the cat and unload the dishwasher while fending off Son trying to climb into it or bang with wooden spoons on the clean plates. Then perhaps dash off to brush teeth and apply facial cream while Son demands to read a book about trucks. Then fixing the bed while Son insist on climbing on the top of, holding the ends of the bed spread and screaming to be lifted on it. Then trying to go to the bathroom while Son wants to play peek-a-book through the door. Then succumbing and reading a book about trucks only to be convinced to build garages for tiny cars, all the while noticing the dirt on the carpet in Son's room and running to get the vacuum to fix it. And then gently convincing Son that he cannot sit on top of vacuum while Mommy cleans...
I can go on and on and you KNOW what I mean.
So, I am thinking, I have earned my $117,000 this year. I also need a bonus for potty training Son when he was 18 months only. I am thinking that is worth about $10,000 this year. Another bonus for keeping my living room toy free most of the time--maybe around $5000? Also, another bonus for often hosting elaborate elegant dinners for company after I put Son to bed. Again, YOU get the idea.
The one silver lining on this invisible income--we don't pay taxes, yey!

No comments:

Post a Comment