Thursday, August 26, 2010

Shoveling gravel and biting girls

You don't know what physical labor is until you shovel some gravel under the hot sun. I know. I did some serious shoveling today. Then I used a sledge hammer to hammer some stakes in the ground. I love Habitat for Humanity. Especially since two fascinated male youths (about 20 years old each) stood there, staring and gawking for over half an hour next to me while I was shoveling the gravel for deserving, low-income families. I admit that at some point I had a strong urge to go and smack one of them on the behind with the shovel. Instead, I rather tersely asked them to move. They left, shaking their heads in disbelief. Later in the day, it took 5 of us to construct a square from four long 2-by-4 pieces of lumber. Let me give you a hint--it would take one person 10 mins to do the same. It took us 15 mins, but the sense of camaraderie that exercise fostered? Priceless!

Life has been pretty monotonous here in Arlington, VA. Of course, things are about to be seriously shaken up by Flag Day tomorrow--stay tuned to learn where we will be posted! Last night I went out with fellow spouses of Fledgling Diplomats. We had quite the blast and spent the night discussing the ends of our own careers, rearing many children to come and the life-long benefits of learning Bengali.

In other news, Son has bitten a girl in daycare. This is a problem. Even though he does it as a gesture of ultimate affection (I think he considers it a kiss...). So, we spent the evening repeating--"Biting-bad! Biting--bad!," at which point Fat Cat rolled its eyes and went to fume on the balcony. Fat Cat does NOT think that biting is bad. I have the marks to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment